Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Learning How to Teach

This morning, the New Testament Survey class is getting better acquainted with the life and letters of Paul.  For their exercise in contextual thinking, the students are being asked to pair off and to read Romans 14:1-6 and Galatians 4:8-11.   The questions are: 

1.  Does a first-time (or “surface”) reading of these two passages suggest that Paul has a consistent view on whether it’s alright for Christians to observe special days? 

2.  Is it possible that, between the writing of Galatians and Romans, Paul has not changed his mind, and that his viewpoint on this topic is consistent? 

3.  If your answer to question 2 is “No,” then explain why the two passages cannot be reconciled.  And if your answer to question 2 is “Yes,” explain how these two apparently-inconsistent passages can be reconciled.

I’m passing this along as an example of how one teacher raises the issue of contextual interpretation.  It’s just one part of my attempt to develop and identify good models and strategies for changing the dynamics of class time from “my answers” to “their questions.”

It seems that the old and usually-inefficient model of “the sage on the stage” is dying.  (I say “usually-inefficient” because I’ve known a few fabulous lecturers).  The model that seems to work better for most teachers and which students increasingly expect and prefer is “the knowledgeable tour guide.”

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Ideas?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can truly say that the class on this morning was intresting to say the least. It did give me a chance to understand Paul's thinking as he wrote the two letters. It is amazing to see people who are passionate about what they believe to be right. I thought it was a perfect analogy of the topic of our lesson this morning.What I value is that God is glorified in what i do.

SteveA said...

Frank,

Greetings! You suggested "Forgotten Matters" by Huston Smith over at Wade Hodges blog a few weeks ago. I have read it through.. parts of it twice. Much to think about. I have a lot of trouble understanding it. Its partly because I'm socialized and prejudiced against it and partly because it is inherently difficult. It is also helping me to understand a little better "The Sword of Gnosis" by Needleman which I read years ago but understood very little of. Smith refers to it and its authors, others of the traditionalist school. Once again thanks. And, you have a nice blog.