Monday, July 25, 2005

Leavin' on a Jet Plane + Prayer to Start the Week

Okay, first off I have to say I'm sorry for having been such a slogger over the last few weeks.

Of course I have oodles of excellent excuses. But I've also begun to realize that the expression, "People don't want to hear your problems," applies even to me and most of my problems. Which is not to say that narcissus is dead; but blight has begun to set in. I'll keep you posted . . . so to speak.

Anyway, tomorrow (Tuesday) morning, the Bellizzis (that's me, 1 wife, and 3 kids) plan to head south. Destination: Altus, Oklahoma.

For what it's worth, the first syllable in "Altus" sounds like the first in "Altoids." The best way to get, "You ain't from around here, are ya'?" is to show up in Altus and call it "All-tus."

That settled, I should say that the reason we're going in July and not January is because next Sunday evening, we'll have the celebration of my parents' 50th wedding anniversary.

Naturally, I've been looking forward to this trip for a long time. It will be so good to see my Mom and Dad, my sisters and their families; to spend a few days in the old house that was my home for a long time, and in certain ways still is; to attend worship at the congregation where for countless hours I've sung and prayed and learned and laughed, the place where I was baptized some thirty years ago.

Just thinking about it reminds me that everyday each one of us is writing a book, creating a history that will be remembered for a long time and make an impact for an eternity. So choose what's right and good. Identify the will of God and do it. Oh, and before you begin, be sure to pray. Here's how I'm praying today . . .

Dear God,

Thank you for my family. And thank you for my much bigger family of which you are Father.

Thank you, Father, for taking care of my parents for all of these years. Thank you that when they were young, you drew them to yourself. Thank you for the the dozens of wonderful people, sold on the gospel and filled with your Spirit, who led and cared for and nutured us.

Help me, with those you've entrusted to my own care and keeping, to be a good and faithful steward like they were.

Please bless my family over the next week as we reunite, remember, celebrate, and look towards a future that promises to be even better in ways that we can't even imagine.

For it's in the name of Christ that I pray,

Amen.

4 comments:

kendanley said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kendanley said...

Tried to post YahooMaps directions to our house on your site, but it didn't appear right. You can still stop by if you have the time!
Best wishes to the senior Bellizzis!
Ken & Jeanette

Ryan and Katie said...

Hi Frank!--This is Katie Bloomingburg (Isenberg now)...Dr. Bloomingburg's daughter....think way back and maybe the phrase "Frank's more funner than a dog" rings a bell? Anyway I ironically came across your blog and noticed you are going to Altus...my husband's sister and brother-in-law are currently stationed there (he is in the air force) we visited them at church and I saw a Bellizi on the member list and figured you were related. We live in OKC and just got married. Feel free to visit our blog!! Have fun in Altus--as much as you can anyway!!

Steve said...

Glad to have you off the blogging bench. Have a great time in Altus celebrating with your parents.

Btw, I went to Johnson City, TN Sunday night and watched the Johnson City Cardinals play the Greeneville Astros. There were some prospects on the Cards you might hear of some day. Albert Pujos' 17 year old cousin and the Cards first round center fielder Colby Rasmus.