Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Go See "Cinderella Man"

The AMC Entertainment group is doing something unusual. Last Friday, they began issuing a money-back guarantee to anyone who'd pay for a ticket to see the movie Cinderella Man.

For whatever set of reasons (none of them good), this movie just hasn't had many goers. Ironically, Michele and I went to see it the night it opened. We both enjoyed it.

As a film about boxing, it's not going to surpass Rocky. As a movie about the Great Depression, and that tells a true story, it does much the same thing that Seabiscuit does.

One of the best parts of this one: the supporting-actor performance by Paul Giamatti. Terrific! Something I didn't like: it runs nearly two-and-a-half hours. I think that it could easily have been ten minutes shorter and just as good otherwise.

Anyway, it seems that the people who head up AMC thought the same thing that Michele and I have been thinking for the last few weeks: "I can't believe this one hasn't caught on! It deserves to."

So, if you haven't gone (and it sounds like that's likely), go see Cinderella Man. My wife and I and AMC all think you'll like it.

3 comments:

Beverly Choate Dowdy said...

Frank
I teach history and my dad and his brother boxed during WWII. His brother boxed in the AA Golden Gloves championship. I felt like I was seeing a slice of my own history.
I think critics didn't like it because it was not cynical enough. But this story is based on the truth. And sometimes, people just have character and purity of heart--by the grace of God.

kendanley said...

My college freshman daughter loved the movie.

Steve said...

Frank, just checking on you. Miss your prayers and post.