Monday, June 13, 2005

Prayer to Start the Week

Last Friday morning, I presided at Bob's funeral. I first met him a few years ago. It was a Sunday afternoon, and we had both brought our children to start a new week at Tidal River Christian Camp.

Bob and his family had known Michele and her daughters for many years. When Michele and I married a year and a half ago, I became one of Bob's neighbors.

Bob was the kind of guy you'd hear about in a Billy Joel song. Of Italian descent, he grew up on Long Island. His father told me that when Bob was ten and the family had just moved into a new house, he convinced his school mates that his dad was a top man in the mafia. He had a nickname for just about everyone, was a great conversationalist and a lot of fun to be around. In a short time, I became very fond of him. But I suspected that we'd never become close friends.

That's because for all the time I knew him, Bob was not in good health. What I've learned over the last few months is that I didn't know that half of it. From the way he acted and the things he said, you'd never know that much was wrong, until his appearance began to give away his condition.

As I prepared to say some words of comfort not far from his casket, it occurred to me how selfless and courageous this man had been. One of Paul Faulkner's words of advice is, "Act better than you feel." That was a constant thing for the last few years of Bob's life. In several ways, I found myself wanting to be more like him; and soon, before that time when I no longer have the chance to change.

A sage once said that, "The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning" (Ecclesiastes 7:4). It's when we recall our common fate that we are best prepared to live. So what is it that you need to change or do differently today? Think about it, and pray.

Dear God,

Thank you for the people you place in our lives. Thank you for the lessons you teach us through them. Help me to follow others to the extent that they are like Christ.


Please bless all of Bob's family, especially his wife and daughters, his parents and closest friends. Give them help and healing. Please allow them to store up and treasure in their hearts all of the good that you gave to them through him.

For as long as I live, God, help me to magnify your name with my life.

In the name of Christ I pray, Amen.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Praying for Bob's family.