Friday, August 08, 2008

God in His Sovereignty

In his book The Supremacy of God in Preaching, John Piper writes:

Years ago during the January prayer week at our church, I decided to preach on the holiness of God from Isaiah 6. I resolved on the first Sunday of the year to unfold the vision of God’s holiness found in the first four verses of that chapter:

In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and his train filled the temple. Above him stood the seraphim; each had six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. And one called to another and said, “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory.” And the foundations of the threshold shook at the voice of him who called, and the house was filled with smoke.

So I preached on the holiness of God and did my best to display the majesty of such a great and holy God. I gave not one word of application to the lives of the people. Application is essential in the normal course of preaching, but I felt led that day to make a test: Would the passionate portrayal of the greatness of God in and of itself meet the needs of people?

I didn’t realize that not long before this Sunday one of the young families of our church discovered that their child was being sexually abused by a close relative. It was incredibly traumatic. They were there that Sunday morning and sat under that message. I wonder how many advisers to us pastors today would have said: “Pastor Piper, can’t you see your people are hurting? Can’t you come down out of the heavens and get practical? Don’t you realize what kind of people sit in front of you on Sunday?” Some weeks later I learned the story. The husband took me aside one Sunday after a service. “John,” he said, “these have been the hardest months of our lives. Do you know what has gotten me through? The vision of the greatness of God’s holiness that you gave me the first week of January. It has been the rock we could stand on.”

The greatness and the glory of God are relevant. It does not matter if surveys turn up a list of perceived needs that does not include the supreme greatness of the sovereign God of grace. That is the deepest need. Our people are starving for God.


This is one of those books I've gone back to again and again if only to be stirred by the mind and the passion behind it.

What books do that for you?

2 comments:

Arlene Kasselman said...

Anything by Nouwen but especially, The Way of the Heart. I think it is worth an annual read.

An exercise for Young Theologians.

The Cost of Discipleship.

Eat This Book.

Royce Ogle said...

Great biblical preaching always works when done in the power and authority of the Holy Spirit.

Piper, in my view, is a great preacher. It is not his manner, his delivery, not his oratory skills, but the content of his sermons. And, I believe God has a monoply on John Piper.

When I started to read his stuff and listen to his messages I found a kinship. I found many of my views on doctrine valitated at least in part by this good man.

Thanks for the posts,
Royce