Wednesday, October 03, 2007

A Few Resources on Caring for Creation

The post just before this one, about our 100 billion bags a year, seems to have struck a chord. Many thanks to John Dobbs for giving it a needed push. For what they're worth, here are links to some other things you might find helpful:

On Preaching the God of Creation tells a little about how I came to the decision to place this truth on center stage at least once every year that I preached.

The Best Preaching on Earth is a short review of a book by that title. It's a fine collection of sermons and sermon ideas.

If you decide to do some teaching (or, more teaching) on Christians and the Environment, you may want to check out a book by Roger Gottlieb called A Greener Faith: Religious Environmentalism and Our Planet's Future (Oxford, 2006). It's billed as "the first comprehensive account of religious environmentalism."

Preachers, find out how some biblical conservatives are plugged into environmental issues; see the website for the Evangelical Environmental Network. The links on the left side of the home page include "Fact Sheets" that you can use in your teaching in order to reach even those Rush Limbaugh fans in your congregation.

"The earth is the LORD's, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it"
--Psalm 24:1, NIV

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Frank...glad to be of some help. I ordered the two sermon books and look forward to their arrival.

I'm a baby in this area...so I'll be thinking of what to do ... some well-worded letters to the editor might get some community interest ... a GREEN SUNDAY ... I dunno what else.

I asked for a paper sack today and the girl packed a plastic one. I reached down and got my own paper sack before she realized she wasn't really listening to me. It's ingrained!LOL I told the girl about the plastic bags filling up the landfills. She was very interested. (sarcasm!)