Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Blogging about Barth

Next year will mark the 40th anniversary of the death of Karl Barth (1886-1968). In his fine little book, Concise Dictionary of Christian Theology, Millard Erikson writes in his entry for "Barth, Karl":

Swiss theologian generally thought of as the founder of neo-orthodoxy. He may well be the most influential Protestant theologian of the twentieth century.

At this point, I'm planning to write a few things about him--his life and work and legacy. Maybe a thing or two will wind up getting published next year.

This post is my way of jump starting the process of my own study at a place where your feedback is possible. Already, I've posted a couple of things where I try to explain a bit about Karl, here and here.

Getting into this is kind of ironic for me. I don't really think of myself as a "Barthian" in any sense, although what Karl has to say usually resonates with me in some way or another.

At other times, I don't think I understand much of what he's talking about. So part of what's motivating me is an interest in getting a better idea of what Barth was saying, and what he was trying to accomplish. Also, if I wind up talking about him in print, it should be informed, right? Besides, I'm curious to go back and revisit the question, What's all the fuss about? Barth has always generated a tremendous response and reaction.

Anyway, what experiences have you had in reading Karl Barth? And what do you think are the most enduring contributions that he made?

4 comments:

Zack said...

I happened across your website today and noticed you discussed Karl Barth. You may be interested to know that we at Logos Bible Software are publishing an electronic edition of Barth’s Church Dogmatics. You can visit its Pre-Pub product page here: http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/2607. The Logos edition will be fully searchable, and all references and footnotes will operate as hotspots, immediately presenting the cited information whenever the cursor rolls over them. All this and more make this esteemed work even more useful for study. And you can help us see this product get the attention it deserves! Contact me for more info: zrock [at] logos [dot] com.

Larry James said...

Glad you are doing this. Barth's commentary on Romans is one of the finest things I've read.

Jim Martin said...

Frank,

So glad you are going to be writing these posts. A number of years ago, I read something by Barth on preaching. As I recall, it was very, very good.

TREY MORGAN said...

Frank, Better swing by my blog today (Monday)... I'm picking on you! ha