Monday, March 12, 2007

Get "Gilead"

I mentioned a few months ago that in 2007 I planned to read, among other books, Marilynne Robinson's novel Gilead.

Well, I'm reading it. And I have to tell you, it's so rich and smooth and fine; like the best cup of coffee (or tea, or hot chocolate) you ever had. If you have a stack of books on your night stand, get a copy of Gilead and place it there. It will sweeten your sleep and enliven your dreams.

I especially like what Michael Dirda of "The Washington Post" said: This book "is so serenely beautiful, and written in a prose so gravely measured and thoughtful, that one feels touched with grace just to read it."

You can read all of Dirda's review here.

3 comments:

Adam Gonnerman said...

I don't read much fiction, but I'll keep it in mind. What's the main theme?

Adam Gonnerman said...

Never heard of it. So, you recommend it?

Anonymous said...

I'm one of your lurkers! I have to agree with you about Gilead. I've read it twice - once for myself and the second time in preparation for my book club discussion (composed of Roman Catholics except for me). I could read it again and love it again.