Friday, October 27, 2006

Scary Movies

When I went home for lunch today, I saw this re-run on “Bravo” about the “100 Scariest Moments in Movie History” or some such.  

Now, I’m not one (usually) to incite fear or suggest that people watch something or go somewhere that’s going to really scare them.  However, . . . .  the show started me thinking about movies I’ve seen through the years that really “got” me.  Off the cuff, and in no particular order, here are ten from the thriller-horror genre that made an impression on me and that I’ve watched, most of them, more than one time.

1.  Jacob’s Ladder (ripped off from “An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge”?)

2.  Don’t Look Now

3.  The Silence of the Lambs

4.  Halloween

5.  The Hitcher

6.  The Dead Zone

7.  Phantasm

8.  The Sixth Sense

9.  The Exorcist

10.  The Shining (i.e., 1980, Stanley Kubrick’s)

Seen ‘em?  Commentary?  Additions?  Subtractions?  For Christians, what is the upshot of horror films, assuming there is one or more?  How do you interpret human fascination with thoughts and images that cause us to lose sleep, bladder control, etc.?  Are you a fan of the genre?  Or do you advocate distance?  Why?

3 comments:

Frank Bellizzi said...

Motkue,

I haven't seen that one; but with your recommendation, I'll put it on my list. All the best to you and Claudia.

preacherman said...

Frank,

I would encourage you if you want a really, really good dracula movie to rent Dracula 2000 it is very interesting on the way the movie approaches who Dracula is, the theory about the silver bullets, blood.

Anonymous said...

The show "Wait Until Dark" was really scary to me! It is an old Audrey Hepburn move. Bellizzis are not known to be the "blood and guts type"