Tuesday, September 19, 2006

This-n-That

Call me a sissy?  I’ll hit you with my purse.  Suggest that my religion is not so nice?  I’ll kill you! 

---------------

Bumper Sticker:  “COMPOST!  A rind is a terrible thing to waste.”

---------------

Last Saturday morning I attended a seminar, hosted by Amarillo College, on Hinduism. The presenter was Dr. Dana Sawyer who teaches religion courses at the Maine College of Art and at Bangor Theological Seminary.

The lecture, question-and-answer, and the visuals were terrific. Overall, the session moved one of those things I wonder about to the front burner; the question of how Christianity interfaces with the big religions of the world. Any thoughts? Observations? Recommended books? Stories to share?

----------------

What a significant day at the United Nations.  From what I gathered while listening to the Today show, President Bush will speak at the U.N., followed a few hours later by the President of Iran.

2 comments:

preacherman said...

I think there are alot of similarities between other world religions and Christianity. Of course the big difference would be that Jesus makes the claim to be only way to God.

You look at meditations and prayers in other religions and Christianity are very interesting. I am Christian. I meditate, do yoga, mind meditation, relaxation technics of zen. As well as prayer. I think both help body and soul.

A book I am currently reading is The Beginner's Guide to Zen Buddhism by Jean Smith

Anothe book that might be recommendation is The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Ripoche

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

It is hard to come by but Stephen Neil wrote a wonderful book called "The Supermacy of Jesus." If you can track it down buy it.

Neil was both a missionary and a historian of Christian mission with incredible knowledge and insight. Deeply respectful and compelling.

Ravi Zacharias grew up either Hindu or Buddhist (in India) and has some very good material as well.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine