Thursday, June 08, 2006

Yes, Sir!



We're winding up our Vacation Bible School at the San Jacinto Church of Christ. Classes were Monday through Wednesday of this week. Parent's night and the grand finale are tonight.

It's been some time since the San Jacinto congregation had a VBS. I'm thankful that Leonard Harper, our new preacher, provided the leadership that made this one happen.

I got to lead the songs, including "I'm in the Lord's Army," a true Christian classic, and the song of the photo if you hadn't already guessed. (Many thanks to Fred Cox, our VBS photographer).
This year's theme was, "A Time for Jesus." We focused on Him as a teacher, a servant and miracle worker, and as a sacrifice.

I'm ever the fan of traditional Vacation Bible Schools, complete with singing, skits and/or puppets, colorful decorations, plenty of teaching time, meaningful crafts, and of course homemade cookies.

VBS was my first taste of the kind of experience I would later have at Christian summer camp (mine was Quartz Mountain Christian Camp in SW Oklahoma) and eventually Christian college (Freed-Hardeman).

There's simply no substitute for extended times spent with other people who want to hear the written Word and to see and know the living Word to which the Bible so faithfully points. That's VBS at its best, and that's why I love it so much.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Frank,

That is a great kids song and I can't sing it with out thinking about Megan Cope and the stories Mike tells of her love for the song.

Our VBS starts next week. I am in charge of Pre-School Games. Whoo Hooo.