Monday, June 12, 2006

Our Hope: The Return of Jesus Christ

Before his crucifixion, Jesus told his closest followers that he would soon leave them and go to his Father’s house. “I am going there,” he told them, “to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am” (John 14:2-3).

Just after the resurrected Christ was taken up into heaven, the Apostles were looking up into the sky, “when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them.  ‘Men of Galilee,’ they said, ‘why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven” (Acts 1:10-11).

From that time until now, a fundamental Christian teaching has been that Jesus Christ will return. The one who was crucified for our sins, raised for our justification, and taken up in glory, will some day come again.

No comments: