Wednesday, May 24, 2006

A New Blog for Songs

It’s been a week since I posted anything here.  That’s mainly because an idea came to me and I’ve been going with it ever since.

The idea was for a new blog.  This one’s called “Vacation Bible School Songs” and the name says it all.  Necessity being the mother of invention, the thought came around when it dawned on me that I wouldn’t be able to attend a song practice that I myself had scheduled and announced.  
To help make up for that, I’m posting the words for some of the songs we’ll sing during V.B.S. at the San Jacinto Church of Christ later this June.  

Along with the words to each song, I’m including audio posts for those who’d like to hear it sung.  While working on the new blog, I’ve been thinking about the advantages and disadvantages of this approach.  Of course, the first big plus is that anyone on-line can see the words and (with speakers) even hear the song sung.  Also, as with a CD, you can skip past the songs you know and go to and repeat the ones you want to learn.

On the other hand, because the audio posts are done by telephone, the sound is about as poor as you can get these days.  Not to mention that some of these songs have physical motions that you can’t see and appreciate.  (Could video be next?)

Also regarding the audio posts, you should know that not one of those three tenors were available for the recordings, which means you’re stuck with me.

And, yes, a lot of our traditional songs are sung to a variety of different tunes.  Of course, I went with the ones I know.   If you sing these same words to slightly-different or completely-different tunes, (you know, the right ones) then go on singing them that way.  Just realize that I’m now blogging my tunes to a world-wide audience (smirk).

About content, I’m going with all kinds of devotional and camp songs as well as the traditional and newer children’s songs.  I hope it’s a blessing.

http://www.vacationbibleschoolsongs.blogspot.com/

No comments: