Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The ninth inning of last night's game between St. Louis and Houston still has me dumbfounded. It was a shot to the solar plexus that Houston will have a hard time overcoming, no matter how much bravery they bring to Busch Stadium. With high drama and real momentum behind the Cardinals in St. Louis, it seems to me that though Houston needs only one win, the pressure is squarely on them. It will be interesting to see how the two teams respond.

Of course, today everyone's talking about Albert Pujols. That's to be expected. But the fact is, without David Eckstein's seeing-eye single, and without that gutsy walk by Jim Edmonds, the smash by Pujols would not have given the Cardinals the lead, nor even a tie. It was neat to hear Albert acknowledging that in the post-game interview. Not only a great player, he seems to be fine person as well.

For folks who drop by this blog and don't really care about baseball . . . I promise to talk about something else very soon.

3 comments:

Steve said...

Although I am pulling for Houston. Eckstein and Pujols are two of the finest quality guys in baseball. I would be proud if my son would play the game the way they did. I am not talking about at the level they do but their approach to the game.

Go Astros! Pitching is on their side for the next two games. Oswalt and Clemens have to get a win between them!

Frank Bellizzi said...

Steve, I was afraid somebody was going to mention Houston's pitching.

I think that St. Louis is the better team. I don't think they have better pitching. But if the Cardinal bats finally come alive, and St. Louis takes game 6, I say they win game 7. The Rocket doesn't have a great record in the postseason, and he's wearing out more easily these days. I know, now he'll go the distance in a shutout or something. We'll see.

Steve said...

I extend my sympathy on your loss

:)