Friday, October 07, 2005

The Cardinals won again! They now lead the division series against the Padres two games to none. The only thing that could make this sweeter? . . . Hearing Jack Buck call the games. They've had professional football in St. Louis for a long time now. But the love of the city is baseball. In fact, the entire region for hundreds of miles around is Cardinal Country. The voice of Jack Buck coming over the airwaves on AM radio KMOX has a lot to do with that. I still miss him.

- - - - - - -

Last Sunday, I read that since 1970 the size of the average new house has gone from roughly 1500 square feet to nearly 2300. With young adults putting off marriage, the prevalance of divorce, and the smaller number of children in families, it's hard to imagine that the increase is due to more people at a single address. In fact, I'd have to guess that in the same period of time the number of people in these increasingly-larger houses has gone down.

All that to say, I have a hard time believing the folks who claim that it's gotten harder and harder to get by in America. The fact is, a lot of us have prospered.

Is the house you now live in larger and better than the one where you grew up? What's behind the increase in the size of houses? And would it hurt us to scale back a bit on the number and size of new houses? (I wonder how the rebuilding of the Gulf Coast might impact all of this, if at all). For Christians, how should the call of the gospel, the demands of the kingdom, influence the choice of a house?

1 comment:

Steve said...

What has struck me about new houses is the size of the master bathrooms. They are almost as big as some of the bedrooms.

I think we have to be very careful about our buy in to the worlds definition of success. It can be so subtle.

I am not expecting your cards to get out of the next round - my astros or braves will take care of them - I hope anyway.