Saturday, August 16, 2008

A Talk: Rick, John and Barack

With so much attention focused on the Olympics right now, I almost forgot about tonight's big event: Rick Warren, pastor of Saddleback Church, will interview both John McCain and Barack Obama, separately, in a public forum at the megachurch in Lake Forest, California.

For all of his fanfare, I really don't know that much about Warren. At this point, I'm just wondering how close he'll come to doing what most people hope he'll do: be a sort of religious version of the late Tim Russert, who always asked tough, thoughtful questions.

If you could ask both candidates one question, what would it be?

3 comments:

preacherman said...

I am wondering how this will effect seperation between church and state.

Frank Bellizzi said...

Preacherman,

I thought Warren offered a good response to that concern at the very beginning of the Forum, which I watched last night. He said that, while he believes in the separation of church and state, he doesn't believe in the separation of faith and politics. A nice distinction.

Anonymous said...

I've just seen clips of the interviews so far, but saw what Warren said about faith and politics and thought it was a great statement.

I've also seen on the news the responses of Obama and McCain about when unborn babies become viable and/or have certain "rights." Obama hem-hawed around and then just totally passed it off, not answering it, while McCain said, without hesitation, "At the moment of conception."

I already know who I am going to vote for based on everything that has gone on up until now, but that straight forward response by McCain helps cement my thinking.