Saturday, August 04, 2007

Bourne a Third Time

WARNING: If you plan to see "The Bourne Ultimatum" and don't want to read anything like a spoiler, then stop here.

Okay. Michele and I went to see "Ultimatum" last night. I think that was my first time to see a much-awaited movie on opening night. The theatre was absolutely packed. Being patrons of the second-run dollar theater, we're not used to that.

The review I read was on target. Anyone who liked the first two Bourne movies will not be disappointed by "Ultimatum." The plot and the script hold together really well; the action scenes are also what you've come to expect in these films.

I have to say that, compared to the car chases and fistfights, I prefer the scenes like the one in London's Waterloo Station. Bourne plants a new un-tapped phone, communicates with someone he's trying to save, and out-smarts an army of surveillance.

I might enjoy the "pure action" scenes more, but sometimes the jumping-camera effect that director Paul Greengrass seems to prefer is just too much for me. It gets to the point where you're not sure what you're watching. But that's nit-picking.

"The Bourne Ultimatum" is riveting from start to finish, movie escapism at its best. So, have you seen this one yet? What did you think?

Oh, and by the way, if you didn't see either of the first two Bourne movies, not to worry. You can get this one without the lead in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think we saw the first two at the theater, but we're probably going to have to wait until this one comes out on DVD to see it because we've got so much going.

I'm going home in the morning and Tom's 3 grandkids are going to be with us the rest of this week and then next week I'm having some surgery done, so will be at home for a while recuperating from that.

Good review, Frank. Thanks! Dee