Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Which time period is longer? From Pearl Harbor Day until the end of World War II, or from September 11, 2001 until the present? For some reason, it seems like it should be the opposite.

- - - - - - -

We got a little dog the other day. She was rescued soaking wet from a busy street in Hartford. She's been named Penelope. Middle name: Harriet. I know, this is more than a little ridiculous. But someone in the family (not me) made a passionate speech to effect that "You wouldn't want to be called something like 'Fluffy' would you?" I could only wonder to myself, "Who would call me 'Fluffy'?" But none of the others needed convincing. They too were ready for a dignified name for their dog. Welcome, Penelope. (She's very cute. Photos to follow. Whenever I can manage it).

- - - - - - -

I'm getting together with my bandmates tonight. We need at least one practice as we ready to play at an annual Christian singles' event called "The October Thing." Our group has played several times as a three-piece, with me as the lone guitarist. But I like it a lot better now that Fred has made it a foursome. Fred plays terrific lead guitar, and that adds a lot. One thing I've noticed about playing in a band: when someone, anyone, is really playing well, everyone else tends to play better. I think this is true of churches and families and businesses, etc. It just shows up more-clearly in a band.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Several years ago, when we acquired our one (and only) family dog, the girls named him Seymour. I told them I thought that was an appropriate name for the B'burgs family animal. The girls looked very perplexed until I explained, "Girls, you've just named the eye doctor's dog 'See More'!" Our little ladies are all grown up and gone, but Seymour's still alive and kicking!