Monday, March 28, 2005

Prayer to Start the Week

"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone--for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth." --1 Timothy 2:1-4

Before coming to the South Road congregation, I was the preacher for the Ward Street Church of Christ in Wallingford, CT. During our Wednesday-evening prayer time there, the wife of one of our elders would consistently point us to this passage and ask that we pray "for our leaders." It was a healthy reminder, and it moves me to pray:

Dear God, Holy Father.

Thank you for the nation where I live and for its government.

Today I hold up before you the men and women who are in positions of authority all over the world. I pray for presidents and prime ministers and kings, for senators and judges, governors, police officers, representatives and mayors. I ask you to bless and to help them, Lord.

Help them to be at their best and to do what it right. Cause them to know that just as they have authority over others, there is an authority over them. Lead them to those decisions and words that will make our world a more peaceful place.

In all of this, I pray for the progress of the gospel, the growth of the Word; that the good news about your Son would travel unimpeded to every place.

Most of all, Mighty God, I look forward to that time when you cause all of the authority in this world to become your kingdom, and that of your Christ, and he will reign for ever and ever.

I pray in his name, Amen.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Amen