Friday, March 18, 2005

The Greatest City in the World

I've never been to Milan or Paris, Tokyo or London. I'd love to see them all, and I'm sure they're terrific. But I bet they can't beat New York. It's got to be the greatest city in the world.

Since I moved to New England in 1993, I guess I've taken 20 trips into the city. And every time, several things happen: I get excited going in. I feel a rush on the streets. I hear a handful of different languages. I see something I've never seen before. I eat something unusual and delicious (and, yes, expensive). Finally, I go back home wishing I could have stayed there longer.

I know exactly why I'm writing this now. At long last, it's finally starting to warm up. And that means I'll soon be going back.

So what's so great about New York? What are the best activities and places? Where to begin. . . . Well, it's not my first stop off the train, but on a nice afternoon, I like to go down to Washington Square. Years ago, a friend who lived in the city introduced me to this place and I've loved it ever since.

Washington Square is in Greenwich Village and, in Manhattan, it's the largest public space south of 14th Street. Here you can see the George Washington Memorial Arch and a big fountain in the center of the park. But you always see a lot more. Street performers--jugglers and musicians--turn up here and there. But some of the best performers have no intention of putting on a show. They're just being themselves (or acting like they're someone else).

If the place looks familiar, it's because you've seen it in a movie or two. The park is where Steven Taylor (Michael Douglas) makes the money drop in A Perfect Murder. And I remember reading somewhere that the arch shows up in When Harry Met Sally.

If you go there on a warm afternoon, you can hang out for a while and take it all in. From there, walk six blocks north on 5th Avenue, take a right onto 12th St. and walk to Broadway. At that corner is one of the coolest spots in the world, the Strand Bookstore. But if you're a book lover, I warn you. You'll find yourself wanting never to come out. "18 miles of books."

Or, if you get thirsty in the park, walk south on MacDougal Street. There you'll find a handful of cafes and restaurants where they have tables and chairs out on the sidewalk.

Most of all, you'll want to see Caffe Reggio at 119 MacDougal. This place, built in 1785, turns up in several films including Serpico and The Godfather: Part II.

From MacDougal, go one block east to Sullivan Street, as in "He works at Mister Cacciatore's down on Sullivan Street, across from the medical center." (As long as you're going to keep singing about it, why not see it? But I don't think there's a Cacciatore's on Sullivan anymore. If you know better, please clue me in).

Okay, that's it. I've got to go now. More later. When I get back . . .

In the meantime, write up and send your favorite New York experience. And if you haven't been to the city, by all means go.

1 comment:

Steve said...

I was in NYC a month after 9/11. It was a unique experience. I was staying in Manhatten and taking the train every morning to the N. Bronx as a part of a social services review team. I was brave enough to have a local reviewer drop me off at Yankee Stadium and I took the train home. The buzz of the city was energizing for the first 3 days. After that I became oppressive (that may have been exasserbated by 12 - 14 hour work days). I guess I am just a smaller town guy. If I ever get back, I will ask you to be my tour guide!