Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Legacy of Burton Coffman

This month’s issue of The Christian Chronicle came in the mail just the other day.  I think I mentioned that “the Chronicle” is on a short list of periodicals I’m sure to read.

Page 3 of the latest issue includes an article about Burton Coffman, a “minister, teacher and prolific writer” among the Churches of Christ, who died on June 30 at the age of 101.

I never met Coffman.  But for many years now, I’ve heard of him and his work, especially his building up of flagship congregations in Manhattan and Washington, D.C.

Then, I came to this:  “In 1952, he initiated an effort to increase the number of U.S Air Force chaplains with Church of Christ backgrounds.  At that point only one Air Force chaplain was affiliated with the Church of Christ.”

The paragraph absolutely jumped off the page because my parents were baptized in the late 1950s by a U.S. Air Force chaplain, Mac Bartee, who also served as a preacher in the Church of Christ.  I can only imagine that Bartee might have been one of those chaplains brought into the Air Force as a result of Coffman’s initiative.

Can anyone out there confirm that hunch?  Does anyone else know something of the life and service and whereabouts of Bartee?

Dear Lord, thank you for the life of our brother Burton.  For your name’s sake, please continue to bless the legacy of his dedicated service to you and your people.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Then I heard a voice from heaven say, "Write: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on."   "Yes," says the Spirit, "they will rest from their labor, for their deeds will follow them."  --Revelation 14:13

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello! I don't know if you still use this blog but I came across it while doing research. I serve as the preaching minister for Lackland Terrace Church of Christ in San Antonio. Brother Coffman did indeed orchestrate some of the pieces so that ministers from the Church can become chaplains in not only the AF, but other branches as well.
Regarding Brother Mac, I know stories by members I have about brother Mac because he was both a chaplain to the recruits on base, and either part or full-time as the minister at Lackland Terrace in the early 70s I believe. One of my elders, Joe Stevens (who just turned 80), told me this morning that Mac was retiring as a LTC while Joe was still serving his active duty enlisted time at Lackland. I've been looking for this kind of research and wanted to share.
Thanks a lot. If you have any more information, I'd love to speak with your parents as well, or if you could share with me their stories.

God bless,
2LT Cam Spencer
Chaplain Candidate, USAR
Minister, Lackland Terrace

Frank Bellizzi said...

Hello Cam,

Thanks for your comment here. Yes, I keep up with the blog and post about as often as I can, which isn't very often these days.

If you will send me an email, I'd be glad to put you in touch with my folks. Please write to me at the following:

frankbellizzi@aya.yale.edu