Wednesday, January 03, 2018

"Indian Mission," by J. Ellis, The Christian Standard, Vol. IX, No. 21 (May 23, 1874), p. 162

With many thanks to Michael C. Mack, editor of the Christian Standard magazine, I've been able to read and transcribe all of J. Ellis's 1874 article on the "Indian Mission." The significance of this piece is that it is, I believe, the earliest report we have from a preacher of the Restoration Movement conducting mission work among the Chickasaws in Indian Territory, now Oklahoma. In its entirety, it follows here.

Dear Bro. Errett: -- As I write on business, I will say that I have been evangelizing for about three months past in northern Texas, and the southern part of the Indian Territory, and enjoying some refreshing seasons from the presence of the Lord. In northern Texas, I have gathered into the different congregations where I have proclaimed the word of life, about eighty-five members, a large proportion of whom are heads of families.

And since crossing the Red River into the Indian nation, I have been very successful for the time I have labored. I gathered up a very pleasant congregation of Indians and whites, and organized them into a Christian church under the name "Chickasaw Christian Church," appointed the proper officers, and setting the machinery to work in good order. And after leaving them to run alone awhile, I have returned among them, and thus far my visit has been blessed to their good. About twelve more have been added, and the good work is still going on.  We enjoyed a blessed good time at the water last Lord's day, as a goodly number of promising young men obeyed the gospel in being buried with Christ in baptism.

I have engaged to preach for them for one fourth of the time, for six months, and hope to see many more become obedient to the faith. I have engaged to preach half of the time in the nation, and if I could obtain a little aid from the churches of Christ, or from a few benevolent members, I could devote my whole time among them. And from what I know of them, I have no doubt I could turn many from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, and build up large self-sustaining churches, in the course of a year. For our teaching takes finely with these unsophisticated children of nature, and they say they can understand it. They like it because, as they say, we "have but one Book," and we tell them to "go and do something, instead of sitting down to feel."

I preached last night at the Orphan Academy, to about thirty bright little fatherless Indian children, together with a goodly number of older people, and had a good time. I expect to preach there one fourth of my time. A large number of the Indians are "half-breeds," pretty well civilized, occupying fine lands, and are becoming quite enterprising; and they certainly offer us a most interesting field for missionary work. I am in the field, and would like to remain, but can not without aid.

There are five nations of Indians here (Chickasaws, Choctaws, Cherokees, Creeks, and Seminoles), occupying the best lands in the United States, all uttering the Macedonian cry, "Come over and help us," and shall we let them cry in vain?

If any of our brethren feel interest enough in our Indian missionary work, to write us, we certainly would be happy to answer. Or if you please, write to B. F. Overton, Esq., our elder (an Indian), at Cedar Mills, Grayson County, Texas. Pray for us.
                                                                                 J. Ellis.
Chickasaw Nation, May, 1874.
P.S.  Bro. B. F. Overton, who is one of our elders, and an Indian, we expect will be Governor of the Nation pretty soon.

No comments: