Friday, March 02, 2007

Web Watch

The zany science TV show "Beakman's World" didn't come along until I was in my 20s. I wished it had been around when I was a kid. It was the perfect combination of learning and hilarity. In the great Beakman tradition, Bible Dudes is a wise-cracking, entertaining website for biblical studies. I'm thinking about using it for my OT and NT survey courses.

"Yale on $0 a Day" is the title of a recent article in The Wall Street Journal(Feb. 15, 2007). The subtitle says, "Top Universities Post Lectures and Other Course Materials On Web, Free and Open to All; Literature of Crisis on Your iPod". The article describes the increasing democratization of higher ed. Want to know what it's like to take "Physics" at MIT? Now you can find out. In fact, MIT seems to be the school that is leading the way. Their OpenCourseWare program now provides the syllabus and class notes for more than 1,500 courses. The OCW features a complete set of videotaped lectures from the course "Physics I: Classical Mechanics." (Thanks to George Caruthers for passing this one along).

2 comments:

Matt said...

Now that is pretty sweet. Thanks for the link. It would seem this would make it that much easier to take over the civilized world - or just get better educated. Whichever is easiest.

Steve said...

Thanks for sharing Bibledudes. That is a trip. I have never enjoyed reading Bible history as much. I also like the video link that took me back to the early days of rap. "I like big Bibles and I cannot lie". That was funny.