Monday, November 06, 2006

The Sad Saga of Ted Haggard

Ted Haggard’s letter to New Life Church can be seen here.  I came across it over at Mike Cope’s blog.  Someone there remarked about how ironic and sad it was that, in this case, a homosexual prostitute has evidently been more truthful than a Christian preacher.  

What bothers me as much as anything is that Haggard’s confessions have apparently been one step slower than the evidence against him.  Your thoughts and reactions to this bombshell in the Evangelical community?  To Haggard’s letter?   To the amount and kind of attention this story has received in the media?

2 comments:

Greg said...

He does a good job of describing the conflict between maintaining a "front" to be successful in public ministry and being honest with oneself in a community - and the disasterous results of secrecy.

I am sorry that he believes his sins have to be dealt with "harshly" (numbered point 3) rather than "gently" (Gal. 6:1).

I think his approach has been "harsh" toward sinners - so he's consistent. I suspect that this whole experience will help him to deal with other "sinners" less harshly now that faces his own sin.

Anonymous said...

..In the end, forgiveness is in order. For him from God if he is contrite, and from us even if he isn't.

As I see it, forgiveness is not an option based on how we feel but an obligation because of whose we are.

I trust that God will grant sincere repentance and heal this troubled man. I am reminded of the exhortation and warning, "Take heed when you stand lest you fall".

I wonder how many of Haggard's critics have skeletons in the closet? I believe each of us have said or done things we would rather not have broadcast on the evening news.

One thing is clear. There is no room for heaping on condemnation for those of us who know Christ. My choice is to forgive and let God deal with his children. And, I will pray for his family and the church to heal and get through this ugly episode.

Grace and Peace,
Royce Ogle