Wednesday, September 13, 2006

About Books, 5

7. One book you wish had never been written: Hmmm. Mr. Obvious suggests Mein Kamph, by Adolf Hitler. I think it was Bobby Valentine (a.k.a. the Stoned-Campbell Disciple, not the Mets’ former manager) who mentioned Why I Am a Member of the Church of Christ. Any book that collapses the way of Christ under the ecclesiology of one branch of the American Restoration Movement? Yep, that’s a good pick. Right after the Self-Help books, you’ll find it in the section labeled “Self-Serving.”

8. One book you’re currently reading: Regulars here at Frankly Speaking won’t be surprised. I’m reading the Qur’an, this edition.

3 comments:

preacherman said...

I agree with Bobby's thoughts on that book too.

I have liked your thoughts on the Koran.

Frank Bellizzi said...

Deacon, I wish that Tertullian hadn't beaten up on Marcion so badly; he wound up eliciting sympathy for a heretical position. But I still think Tertullian was a good guy, with good intentions.

The same goes for Leroy Brownlow. I have no reason to doubt that he meant well. But "Why I Am a Member of the Church of Christ" exhibits a (what to call it?) misplaced triumphalism that served mainly to cut the Churches of Christ off from soul searching, the discipline of self examination (which could have gone a long way to keep us on track).

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

I might make a blog about Brownlow's book ...

Shalom,
Bobby Valentien