Monday, February 27, 2006

My "Brother Dowell"

I think that I'm just now "dealing with" the death of someone whom I had not seen for many years before his untimely demise. In fact, I know that's true because, these days, tears well up in my eyes every time I start to think about him.

It was weeks after his passing that word got to me in Connecticut. It arrived accidently, from someone who assumed I already knew. So the news was a shock.

It came at a time when my own world was a desolate place. I felt that much more alone. I don't know, maybe that's why I've waited until now. Maybe I couldn't do this back then.

His name was Dowell Flatt. And I loved him.

For many years, he taught Bible and also served as the Chairman of the Department at Freed-Hardeman College in Henderson, Tennessee, my alma mater.

During my years at Freed-Hardeman, there were about 125 guys majoring in Bible. "Preacher students" we were. We enjoyed as well as endured our classes under "Brother Flatt." (He was good and tough).

In or out of the classroom, we hung on every word he said. We laughed at all of his jokes and witty understatements. We wanted to be a lot like him.

More than anyone else, he encouraged me to attend Harding Graduate School once I'd finished my bachelor's degree. And that changed my life more than I imagined it would.

When I was the youth minister at the Church of Christ in Henderson, Tennessee, no one was more supportive of my feeble efforts than were Dowell and his wife, Della. (What a great person she is too).

I could ramble on and on about him. But I guess that I just want to register my memory that Dowell Flatt showed me grace and taught me truth at an important time in my life. So I'll always be thankful to God for him.

"Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on. Yes, says the Spirit, that they may rest from their labor, and their works will follow them." --Revelation 14:13

8 comments:

Frank Bellizzi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brennan T. Hughes said...

I also considered Dowell Flatt my mentor and friend. He was my first Greek teacher, and knowing Greek meant the world to me back then (in 1995). I would call him "Yoda" sometimes because I viewed him as my wise old Jedi master.

I got word of his passing right away, and, living three hours from Henderson, I was able to go to the funeral with some friends.

Dowell was a great Christian teacher, and I wish I had done more to show my appreciation while he was still around.

Frank Bellizzi said...

Hi, Donna.

Of course I remember you. Thanks for stopping by and for leaving a note.

I'm really blessed to have known your family way back when.

Grace and peace to you.

Anonymous said...

Hello Frank,

Don't know if you remember me, but I was a freshmen when you were a senior at FHC. I loved Brother Flatt as well and mourn his passing. It is hard for me to believe that it has been twenty years since I was a freshman at Freed Hardeman. I preach for the church in Carlisle, Kentucky and am also a high school English teacher. Your suite mate that year was Andrew Perkins and he and I are still in touch: in fact, we are going to Great Britain this summer together. I enjoyed coming across your blog. Best wishes, good brother.

Mike

Frank Bellizzi said...

Hello, Michael.

Yes, I remember you and Andy and the whole gang. Great to hear from you. Best wishes. Tell Andy I said hi.

Unknown said...

"In or out of the classroom, we hung on every word he said. We laughed at all of his jokes and witty understatements. Truth be told, a lot of us wanted to be him."

Your statement above sums it up for me, but my favorite memory of him is as follows.

During a song service in chapel we came to a verse that went, "I stand, I stand, in awe of you" referring to the reverence we should have for our creator. Dr. Flatt, literally sitting front and center of 1000 students, stood as we sang this part of the song. Like a cape tied to his neck the entire auditorium followed. This image is evidence of the influence he had on people. It also put things in perspective for me as a young Bible student to see this great man stand out of humility.

eglonthefat said...

Frank-

It's been 4 years since you posted this but I just came across it. You may not remember me but we were in a play together at FHU. In fact, i believe you won actor of the year for your portrayal of the prosecutor in that play. Anyway, i was a pre med student at FHU and went on to medical school. I now practice in my hometown of Jackson, Tennessee. I wanted to comment on Dowell Flatt.
I took Greek at FHU just because it interested me. However, my first semester of Greek was my worst semester of the whole 4 years. I had just gone through a terrible breakup and was very depressed. As you know Greek requires quite a bit of study and i just couldn't concentrate. Brother Flatt was so kind to me that semester and talked to me often about his depression and ways I might cope with mine at the time. Fortunately, my depression was of the reactive type whereas his was intrinsic and long standing. I ended up getting a "C" in the class which was unusual for me but he helped me overcome my depression which was a tremendous gift.
Many years later my wife peggy(Adams) and i were selected as alumni of the year. At the presentation ceremony there were only 2 former professors there-Milton Tucker(who I also love dearly) and Brother Flatt. I'm tearing up now just thinking about it. Brother Flatt would be dead within a year. He was a kind and loving man who suffered with a horrible affliction. There is no doubt at all in my mind that he rests in the arms of jesus as I type this. Thank you for your kind words about Brother Flatt and if you are ever back at FHU please look me up in Jackson.

Steve Weaver

Frank Bellizzi said...

Hello, Steve Weaver!

Yes, I remember you, and Peggy as well. How good to hear from you these many years later. Seems like I remember reading the news that you had received the award. Anyway, thanks for your words and for sharing these memories here. I've gotten as much feedback from this one post as from any other. People who spent a little time around Dowell Flatt came to love and appreciate him. His memory will live on and be a blessing.