Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Write On!

Why would anyone doubt the biblical doctrine of the Fall? I mean, isn't it something we all assume all the time?

Listen to talk radio. Pick up a self-help book. Go to church. Read blogs, including the comments. Here's what you'll hear: "The world is a messed-up place, and I can explain what's wrong and what we should do about it. "

We typically differ about the answers. But that there is an implicit and pressing question is something every responsible person seems to know, even if they've never been told.

Of course, I'm one of those billions of people who thinks he knows what's wrong and what to do about it. So I write.

- - - - - -

One of the reasons I blog is because it keeps me writing. Writing something. Anything.

I don't write every day. But I sometimes think I'm supposed to. That's because, years ago, when I first started really trying to write, I came across something the great Flannery O'Conner once said. Sometime after she'd become famous, Flannery told an interviewer that she wrote every single day. It wasn't that her writing was good every day. But she knew that if she didn't write every day, then on the days when it would be really good, she might not be writing.

I'm glad Flannery wrote every day. And I think she was onto something there.

Not all media were created equal. Now that I've learned a few things about what email can and cannot do, I'm still trying to figure out what a blog is and is not good for. But for now, I keep the blog because it's like having a friend who constantly says to me, "Come on, man. Write something."

- - - - - -

Years ago I read something about the number of "pages" that a preacher preaches. The writer (probably a preacher) was trying to quantify the output of a preacher's wordsmithing work. The figure came to something like six or seven novels worth every year.

I remember wondering at the time, Should someone quoting the Bible get credit for creativity? And that pre-sermon banter used by preachers to welcome visitors and promote important stuff? That counts as fiction writing?

But I digress. (Probably an effect of the Fall). For the sake of the point, let's say that the preacher doesn't "write" six or seven good novels every year. Let's say it's just one.

My question is, Why isn't the preacher publishing that? Would you crank out a novel a year and never send anything to a publisher?

"The pen is mightier than the sword." What would that guy have said about keyboards and the Internet? Have things like the Bible, the Nicene Creed, Augustine's Confessions, those ninety-five theses, the "Declaration and Address," and Karl Barth's Commentary on Romans taught us nothing?

If you haven't guessed already, I wish more preachers would put at least something in print every once in a while. Not that many are ever going to match the truly great stuff. But over the course of a year's worth of teaching, is there nothing of which the preacher can say, "But this one thing I'll polish and publish"? Preachers, maximize your ministry of the Word! Write for the Lord's sake, and ours.

Inspiration: Up to this point, everything I've ever submitted for publication in a Christian magazine or journal has seen the light of printed day. (Actually, that should be qualified by "almost." The only thing that's been turned down so far is some stuff I wrote on church-state questions; I think I'm not "right" enough about that stuff. Ooh, maybe I'll publish it here). Of course, serials among the Churches of Christ pay from nothing all the way to next-to-nothing. So the competition for space isn't exactly stiff.

5 comments:

Leland V said...

Frank--
I agree on the plea for writing. My experience over the years has been that the preachers that I have heard for extended periods of weeks who were good writers were also the best preachers. (I include you in this compliment.) There is something about the discipline and craft of writing that comes out positively in formal, verbal presentation.

My own writing experience has mostly been technical subjects, but I think that it has improved my speaking and teaching.

Think about those college classes where you were able to have the teacher who had written the/a textbook for that class. On one or two occasions I was able to take a class from someone who had written the "classic text" in that subject. What a difference!

(What would it be like to have a semester of Pauline Literature from N. T. Wright? Probably something like a semester of Isaiah from Brevard Childs??)

Do you have any experience in listening to a preacher who was a good poet? Eugene Peterson has said that he thinks that is also a good exercise for pastoring.

Keep writing.

Merry Christmas to you and the family,
Leland

Steve said...

I wonder if part of the reason many of us don't publish is because we have "stolen" what we are preaching.

I often feel I have very few original ideas. Maybe just original presentation. I feel others have said it clearer and better but it is my job to share it with those in my community of faith.

Frank Bellizzi said...

Leland,

Thanks for dropping by and writing (!) such nice things. I think that there is a lot crossover benefit from writing to speaking. Plus, seems that the writing project gets you reading more, which makes you better informed, armed with good expressions, etc.

Seems like I heard that Fred Craddock told preachers to read short stories; the closest form to a good sermon.

Eugene Peterson. It'd be great to get to hear him regularly. Your Tim W. is a good pattern too.

All the best to you and Jackie and your boys.

Frank Bellizzi said...

Steve,

Rather than "stolen" I like (and use) the expression "adopt and adapt." At F-HU they talk about how often Hardeman's Tabernacle Sermons were repeated by others verbatim, even to the point of where an outdoor preacher would welcome everyone, including those seated in the balcony.

Seriously, there is a point at which something is no longer someone else's and becomes your own; when your original presentation begins, perhaps, with a quote or someone else's illustration, but then turns to your own thoughts, reactions, development, etc.

That's something that you are perfectly able to do. You already do a lot of that on your blog.

kendanley said...

The ability to speak doesn't necessarily get packaged with the ability to write. I've known several with learning disabilities that affected their writing. Thinking is what stands behind both tasks. Whether it takes writing, speaking or doing to find out and express what one thinks, I'm all for it. It's my non-thinking friends that annoy me more than those who do not publish.