Thursday, June 23, 2005

Backside Billboards

I want to announce one of my current pet peeves. Ready? It's those short shorts with tushy text, something written across the rear end.

I'm wondering, What is it that leads a girl to conclude, "Hmm. I think I'll buy and wear these skimpy shorts with ___________ on the backside"?

I also want to know, About this wear, where's Mom and Dad?

Now, in an attempt to preempt, I want to say that if the print on said pantaloons was smaller, I'd be even more embarrassed to bring up the subject. But, . . . .well, . . . what I mean is, Most examples are legible from otherwise safe distances.

Convinced that the subject deserves more coverage, . . . . I'm asking, What do you think?

4 comments:

Steve said...

I have a daughter that God has blessed with the gift of modesty. I hope she keeps it!

Since the 70's retro is in now, I am really hoping the 80's will be back in her teen years. With the exception of Madonna, most girls were fairly well covered in the 80's. Jeans were a little snug but atleast they came up to a reasonable proximity of the waist.

I am such an old guy now....(bangs head on desk).

James said...

Would you have an issue if you saw the same girl, same style shorts, but this time the words emblazoned on her shorts was "JESUS SAVES" ?

Is the issue the fact that there are words drawing your eye someplace you don't feel comfortable looking? Is it the message of the advertising that bother you (usually blatant sexual connonations)? Or it is the clothing style itself?

There-in lies the answer to the unasked question.

Jeff said...

Jamie,

The issue for me is the immodesty. It doesn't matter what the words on the shorts are, the fact is, they are too short and the words draw attention to a part of the body we men should not be gazing upon.

Such clothing does not honor God.

Frank Bellizzi said...

I think that anything printed in large letters across a rear end is provocative.

Would "Jesus Saves" be better than, say, "Juicy!" No. It would be worse, because in that case you'd be adding sacrilege to impropriety.