Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Darn Good Documentaries

During the divorced years, I took advantage of my living-alone status and frequently allowed the movie buff in me to go on an absolute rampage. "Mad Mike's Super Video"in Wallingford, CT was about a mile from my apartment, and I was a regular.

What kept me coming back to Mad Mike's was this guy's apparent vow to have at least one copy of every movie ever made. There were times when I had just read about some little-known, 30-year old film that flopped in the theaters, but was by all accounts a must-see. I'd race to Mike's, and he'd have it. Only twice in two years did I walk away without the video I came for. Anyway, there was one time when, for about a month, I spent my late nights watching documentaries. About 3 or 4 a week.

[Okay, let's clear this up right now. To those of you who're thinking, "Documentaries? I hate documentaries. They're boring," I say, "You probably don't like raindrops on roses, whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles, warm woolen mittens, or anything else like that. Every sane and sensible person knows that a good documentary should be among a person's favorite things].

Since those documentary days, I've seen only a few more. What I'm discovering as I go along is that there must be a lot of nicely-done, quirky-in-all-the-right-ways documentaries out there. And I'd like to eventually see them all, but know I never will.

In the near future, I'll share with you the titles of some of my favorite documentaries, along with a little bit about why I like them so much.

Until then, any nominations for a list of "Great Documentaries"?

No comments: